SC - Carrots

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Apr 15 08:54:02 PDT 1997

<< I was taught that Queen Anne's Lace was poisonous.  Of course, I never
checked
 it out -- not being a cat ;-> >>

The one you want is> Daucus carota (The cultivated carrot is D. carota var.
sativa). The Field Book of Natural History, pg. 268 says: Native of Asia, but
naturalized from Europe. Now commonly established as a weed in fields,
pastures, and waste places. Found from coast to coast in N. America but may
be commoner in the East.  25 species in genus. FROM THIS SPECIES HAS BEEN
DEVELOPED THE VALUABLE CULTIVATED CARROT.

There is reference to the remote possibility that handling the leaves MAY
cuase dermititis in some people. This warning is also included in the
reference to cultivated carrots. No mention is made of it being poisonous but
like any other wild plant you should be familiar with it before you eat it.
:-) After all there is an extremely remote possibility that you may confuse
it with Poison Hemlock. However, since the growing environment are very
dissimilar the odds are you would not mistake it. Also they are very
different in appearance so far as root structure, flowers, and leaves are
concerned.

Lord Ras