SC - food preserving

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 15 15:50:06 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Hmm. Wax is used to seal cheeses for preserving them now. I assume
> it was done in period even though wax was expensive. Is there any
> evidence of wax being used to seal meats? Or perhaps as seals on
> jars of vegatables? If so, would this be period canning?
>
> Stefan li Rous
> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Wax was, as you point out, expensive. I understand one Elizabethan
method of sealing jars is with a piece of parchment soaked in brandy,
folded down over the opening and tied in place with a loop of string
around the mouth of the jar. This might be augmented with a sheet of
pig's bladder (kind of like sausage casing) tied on in the same way.

Also, a lot of what we use wax for was accomplished with regular fat. I
think I have a cheese recipe somewhere which calls for wrapping the
finished cheese in a sort of "bandage" with a round top, bottom, and a
strip around the edge. This is still done today, but it would then be
brushed with melted wax. The period instructions, if I remember
correctly, call for tallow or lard.

By the way, this method of sealing in wax-impregnated cloth is used
today in the manufacture of Prosciutto di Parma, and some dry sausages.
Perhaps it's an Italian thing.

I'm getting hungry!

Adamantius