SC - Feast Themes

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 17 08:30:48 PDT 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

<Snipped for space a nice bit about steenkin' garlicky sausages>

> <<<sigh. I suppose it's not PC to do this theme these days>>

I dunno. Lots of moronsahempeople consider themselves the Defenders of
The One True Church these days, and people are still dying for it.
Referring impartially to a series of historical events in this vein
(urp!) shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?

> I could never
> stuff sausages by hand for an event now. Too many people come. Is that good
> or bad?

GOOD! I've had the same problem, to which I offer two solutions, both
tested over the past 11 years of charcutierie:

	1. I'm gonna sound like a parrot to you, but you could find a butcher
you trust, cultivate a friendly business relationship with him/her, and
ask him/her to make a batch of sausage using X pounds of ground pork or
whatever. Tell this butcher you will provide the seasonings for X pounds
of filling, and would he be so kind as to case them for you. If they're
not terribly busy, they might be persuaded to form loops or even links;
otherwise you can easily make two-pound loops (or whatever, I usually do
two-pounders for sausage when I'm lazy and rushed) on site from the
plastic bag or box of disturbing-looking but great-smelling gut,
reminiscent of a particularly nasty scene out of "Night of the Living
Dead", that the butcher gives you. A batch, by the way, probably
consists of anywhere from 35 to 100 pounds, just about right for most
events (or I could eat them myself).

	2. Teach a class, with one or two ringers drafted just in case you get
insufficient  students. This could be at or outside of an event. This is
one of those jobs that is a fair amount of work, but deceptively simple,
and many cooks seem to feel they can't do it simply because they haven't
done it before. And, as they say, many hands etc. I've done a fair
amount of such teaching, and I just put in the condition that he who
would learn, will work. Cuts down on the blisters on the crank-hand that
way.

> Aoife.

Adamantius, who may go to his grave in the shameful knowledge that his
Scandinavian game sausage, for which he and his Province are famous, is
really from the nineteenth-century. No one seems to care.