SC - Re: sca-cooks SCA-ck Lard Preservation

Fri Apr 18 07:16:19 PDT 1997

  > So, Katherine, is that why we dilute the honey to make the mead?  ;-)

  My impression is that yeast can't handle anything that intense either;
  but I'm neither a microbiologist nor much of a brewer!

If I remember correctly, the real issue with honey is not just its minor
anti-microbial properties.

Sugar, at that level of concentration, will dessicate living cells that come
in contact with them.  You remember the old High School semi-permeable
membrane stuff?  That (and the "prune fingers" you get from washing dishes)
are part of the same thing.

So, we dilute the honey to drop the concentration to something even yeast
can bear.

	Tibor (If I Recall Correctly, as I said)