SC - Re Potatoes

Ilkka Heikki Salokannel Rennes at xl.ca
Wed Apr 30 23:01:28 PDT 1997

Lord Ras wrote:
" potatoes were considered to all intent and purposes
poison."
I believe that depends on what you mean by a "potato". The
kind we buy at the grocery store in 10 lb. bags were first
brought back to the Old World by the Spanish who got them
from the Inca. They were not just the white and yellow ones
we are familiar with but several other colours including
blue! (I kid you not.) The Spanish tried them out as ship's
provisions and ate them for some time. They spread them to
Germany where someone (probably a turnip farmer) started the
rumour that they caused leprosy! Needless to say that stopped
the eating of potatoes until the late 1700's. At least, that
kind of potato.
However there are several recipes in Elizabethan cookbooks
for "potatoes". What they are referring to is the sweet
potato which was apparently eaten freely in Europe without
fear of poisoning.
Rowenna
Name: Ilkka Heikki Salokannel
E-mail: Ilkka Heikki Salokannel<Rennes at xl.ca>