SC - test cooking

S. Noss snoss at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 4 10:41:52 PDT 1997

>>From the Forme of Cury, recipe # 189:
>
>"Benes yfryed. Take benes and see6 hem almost til 6ey bersten. Take and
>wryng out 6e water clene. Do 6erto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec
>6erwith; frye hem in oile o6er in grece, & do 6erto powder douce, &
>serue it forth."

Ok, this is what I came up with (not having looked at the others yet, it
may repeat their findings) :

Beans (fava?)
1 onion
1 small clove garlic
oil
powder douce (cinnamon, anise, sugar (did they have brown sugar?)

Put beans into a pot of boiling water - cook until they swell (nearly
bursting).
While beans are cooking, boil one onion until it starts to get soft, then
mince fine. Also, mince one small garlic clove.

Drain beans in a strainer, pat dry on a towel - be careful not to squish them!
Oil the bottom of a frying pan, and put all your ingredients in, along with
a tablespoon or so of powder douche (depends on how sweet you like it) Stir
everything till its coated with the oil and powder, and simmer for about
five minutes, stirring often.  Serve it forth.

Raffaella

"Can we have some more beans, Mr. Taggart?"
"No, I think you boys have had enough!"

- -Blazing Saddles, the infamous campfire scene!