SC - Re: Lombardy Custard

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 19 14:43:25 PDT 1997

>Landsberg reproduces a detail from Brueghel's "The Numbering at
>Bethlehem" illustrating something she claims is colewort.  The picture
>is fuzzy, but they look to me like Romaine lettuce raised several inches
>off the ground by a stalk.  I don't know what collard and kale look like
>in the field, so they could look like those too.

Not to say that what you saw is the same but Chard is harvested by pulling
off the leaves.  Eventually the stem grows to look stalk-like if you pull
the leaves off enough so that might be the same as colewort.  Also how old
are brussels spouts? Could that be small headed cabbage or colewort?  When
you pull the tiny little heads off you have a stalk.  I think all in all
greens and cabbage are often overlooked and under appreciated in the SCA
(actually real life)

Concerning the other plants mentioned there is a wild purslane that is
considered a weed as well as your domestic purslaine.  It's tasty.
Ox-tongue maybe be a plant very similiar to seer's tongue lettuce (I think
that's what the name is) and chicory grows wild in parts of the US.

Clare St. John