SC - Chutney

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Fri Aug 22 07:00:25 PDT 1997

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Katerine wrote:

>Hi, Katerine here.  Lionardo suggests checking Platina, on the basis that
>Lombardy Custard should be a custard from Lombardy.
>
>Are French fries from France?

It was simply a suggestion as a way to compare what an Italian form of
custard might have been made like. Since you yourself mention...

>The name suggests that somebody at some point that that there was something
>distantly Lombardy-like about the custard.

And I suggested that we look at the closest corpus I have to a Lombard
style by seeing what was available in the Veneto region.

>  Custard recipes in Italy (and
>Lombardy was not always part of Italy; for that matter, Italy was hardly
>a single entity) may be relevant, but they also may not.
>
>In other words, I'd look, but I'd take what I found with a grain of salt.
>Even if the dish was invented by someone who went to Lombardy and like
>something he had there, it doesn't follow that he used the same techniques
>when he tried to reproduce it.

Apparently I am quite incapable of passing across a message in
assuming the readers of this list are able to make such logical
deductions on their own. As such, allow me to apologize and add
concurrence that, indeed, my example was only used as a methodology
for style. As such it should be possible, by broadening the horizons
of what some cooks of the time MAY have known about custards, that we
can begin to make an attempt at understanding the English recipe
instructions that are trying to be redacted.

Please forgive my presumptuousness.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio, TX)
zarlor at acm.org