SC - cheesecake

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri Aug 22 07:43:24 PDT 1997

Okay, here is my suggestion, just because it is how I like beef to be cooked.  I suggested that everything be cooked medium to medium well, because people (like me) who like their meat still mooing will eat meat that is cooked longer (we might gripe a bit, but we will still eat it).  I would do a marinade, I like the cheap wine idea, it works very well, but one of the people who taught me how to cook told me never to cook with a wine I wouldn't serve with a meal.

I make my marinades with everything that is liquid in my fridge (bad Christi).  My last one was OJ, wine, worchestire, a bit of brown mustard, pieces of garlic, parsley, whole peppercorns and a bit of chopped onion.  The only reason I used so much of everything is because I knew that the meat I was working with was going to be pretty tough and tasteless (Darned old cow was mean when alive and tasteless after butchered, she got even with us good for ever thinking to raise cattle).

I marinade my meat for awhile then slice and grill.  Like I said earlier, I make sure to cook it fairly well because people who can't stand the sight of blood will not eat anything, where as us toughies will eat anything laid on the plat and only gripe a little.

As many people mentioned, if you marinade the meat you will not have to worry about getting a more tender cut of meat. If you do not want to marinade, find a butcher around that you like and talk to him (or her) alot.  Spend time buying little things and ask their advice.  Once they realize you do care about the quality of the meat you are getting they are more likely to help you find what you need (Schmoozing works, folks).
  Then as it gets closer to the date of the feast, get the butchers advice.  And they will keep an eye out for a good meat at a reasonable price.

My two cents,
Murkial