SC - cheesecake

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri Aug 22 07:43:24 PDT 1997

Aoife wrote:

> I probably wouldn't have gotten so over-excited about the curds thing, but
> suddenly we were faced with a new recipe for....CHEESECAKE.....of all things.

I've seen a number of medieval recipes that more or less resemble
cheesecake.  There's one from the Anglo-Norman cookbook that my wife
redacted as a delicious fruit-filled cheesecake (and now I can't find
the recipe, or even its name, on this computer!)

And there's "flaons", from the 15th-c. Catalan "Libre del Coch", and
apparently cognate with both the modern Spanish "flan" and the
contemporary English "flathonys".  Our most successful redaction to date
involves

1/2 pound of farmer cheese
1/4 pound ricotta
5 eggs
4 crumbled dried mint leaves
2 tsp. rosewater

mixed together, poured into a pie crust, baked for 40 minutes at 350F,
and then brushed (hot from the oven) with

1/6 cup honey

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu