SC - cheesecake

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri Aug 22 19:36:05 PDT 1997

Stephanie Rudin wrote:

>      I always thought they were the buds of a kind of lily, but from
> the
>      description in an earlier posting I'm not sure now, what kind of
> bud
>      they are.  I had never eaten them until the chicken dish I posted
>
>      earlier.  I'm not sure how much of there flavor is due to their
> own
>      flavor and how much can be attributed to the pickling brine used
>      commercially.

Capers are the pickled floral buds of the _Capparis spinosa_  plant, a
low, prickly, flowering bush.  They are found promarily in the
Mediterranean basin coasts, hence their commoness in Southern Italian,
Morrocan and other Regional cuisines.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/Crops/Caper
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropInfoSources/Magness_Info.html
http://www.cucina.iol.it/erbe/inglese/dati/35.htm
http://www.byerlys.com/bbag/Nov1996/vegetables.html

you can find seeds to grow your own at
http://www.ethnobotany.com/seeds.html#C

an herbal database of plant names to common names
http://balsam.methow.com/~gwooten/chem/hrbndx.htm

I hope this little tirade of information is helpful.

fra niccolo difrancesco