SC - Chutney

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 19:12:44 PDT 1997

> I would be very interested in seeing the original of the flaons
> recipe (in English or Catalan).  The only "flan" I ever had in South
> America had nothing to do with a pie crust.

I don't seem to have the Catalan on-line, and I don't feel like finding
it and typing it in right now, but here's our English translation.

Libre del Coch #136
De flaons

Take fresh cheese and curds that are well [drained?] and pound them well
in a mortar together with as much eggs.  And [fold?] a bit of fat
cheese which is grated and minced together with the curds with a bit of
[pols] of dried mint.  And then put in the mortar a little rosewater,
not too much but rather in [appropriate] measure.  And then make dough
from good farina and knead it with very fine oil, kneading it well so
that it becomes very firm.  And then make of the dough [coffins?] to
place the cheeses.  But before filling, heat the dough a little, but
[that?] it should [remain? become?] firm.  And then fill it with the
filling.  And before they are all done, take some forks or [pincers?]
and [crimp?] the edge.  And then take it to the fire to cook.  And when
it's cooked, and [the top is browned?] a bit, then [from edge to edge?]
put on honey or a syrup of sugar and rosewater.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/