SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Mon Aug 11 14:16:59 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Linneah asks whether a difference in chopping
techniques might make chopping after parboiling more sensible.

There are certainly harder and easier ways to chop a parboiled onion.
I know of no way to chop an onion that works better on parboiled ones
than on raw, though.

Also, parboiling is normally specified even when onions are used
whole.

I continue to suspect that the motivation has to do with flavor
or similar considerations.  I suspect one of three causes: (1) medieval
onions were in some significant way different from modern ones, making
boiling desirable; (2) they were trying to prevent the tendency raw
onions have in many people to cause gas (possibly worse in medieval
ones, but maybe not); or (3) they were using onions to contribute
sweetness, not an acid bite.

But I'm just guessing.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry