SC - Sauce Robert...

Anne-Marie Rousseau rousseau at scn.org
Tue Aug 26 20:38:34 PDT 1997

>Sauce Robert is alive and well as of the 1950's, although as a "small"
>sauce made from either Espagnole or Demiglaze, which is itself derived
>from Espagnole, which would make Robert the grandchild sauce of
>Espagnole, which would mean Hongroise is a second cousin twice removed,
>an' I'm my own grampaw.....

Sauce making was a fine French art way back when. You also see a standard
roux in la Varenne, as well as the earliest emulsion sauces I've ever
seen. And you can't tell me Catherine de Medici (the upstart :)) had
anything to do with it...none of the contemporary Italian sources show
anything of the kind.

Saupiquets are just egredouce, after all :)....there's nothing new under
the sun.

I know, I know, la Varenne isn't even close to medieval. But it's still
cool that they were doing all that neat sauce stuff back then!

- --Anne-Marie

- --
Anne-Marie Rousseau
rousseau at scn.org