SC - Sauce Robert...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 26 21:27:05 PDT 1997

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Sauce making was a fine French art way back when. You also see a standard
> roux in la Varenne, as well as the earliest emulsion sauces I've ever
> seen.

Well, yes, apart from my understanding that la Varenne uses pork fat for
roux. It is at least recognizable, more or less. As for emulsified
sauces, they are pretty widespread as of la Varenne's time, or shortly
thereafter (they appear in Massialot and La Chapel, IIRC, within fifty
years or so). I seem to recall a recipe for aioli in an earlier Spanish
source, but I'd have to look for the reference... .

> Saupiquets are just egredouce, after all :)....there's nothing new under
> the sun.

Nope! Apicius has 'em too.

> I know, I know, la Varenne isn't even close to medieval. But it's still
> cool that they were doing all that neat sauce stuff back then!

Oh, yeah. Probably more than any other bit of culinary evolution, the
development of the whole French sauce taxonomical structure is the
hingepoint for the modern age (for what that's worth ;  )   ).

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com