SC - Salt and Foam

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 1 05:52:13 PDT 1997

Elise Fleming wrote:

> Stefan, I believe, commented about cooking the fish that salt and water
> (being boiled together) don't cause foam.  Actually, in period they
> probably did.  The salt had a number of impurities in it and would need
> to be skimmed off.  Ditto for sugar!  That still wouldn't negate how he
> decided to cook the fish but I thought I'd toss in my two cents before
> I go spend them at Pennsic tomorrow morning.
>
> Alys Katharine

Another consideration: not only is it possible we take the purity of
commercial salt for granted, but ditto for fresh running water. If you
are using some types of well water, especially if somebody is drawing
water into, say, a wooden barrel for your kitchen use, the extreme
likelihood is that there would have been some harmless microorganisms
living in the water. Microorganisms = protoplasm = protein, which, when
boiled, = scum.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com