SC - AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Dec 2 14:53:13 PST 1997

While driving home this morning I passed a pile of boxes piled in front of a
house and saw some books on the ground next to them....I stopped and was
looking through the boxes...lots of odds and ends mostly broken and in the
pile of books there was....Traditional French Cooking
Larousse/Curnonsky...a woman came out of the house and I asked her if the
books were hers...she said "no, we just bought the house and are clearing it
out...that's the last of the stuff. The old guy who lived here was a cook or
chef or something...we tossed boxes of books on cooking and stuff, some of
them were so old!"  Then she laughed.  I asked her if I could have the book
and she said "sure, I took out the stuff I wanted"
The book is 'mostly' whole however she had taken a razor blade or exacto
knife and CUT recipies from the book!!!!!!!!!!!   I am wondering what else
she thoughtlessly tossed out as old and useless....one of the neighbors told
me that the man was a chef, was 95 yrs old when he died and had a keen
interest in cooking and illuminated manuscripts.  All I can envision is this
man's precious collection at the bottom of some trash truck  :(  Lord knows
what was in it....heavy sigh

Dragonfyr  :(