SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #460

Wed Dec 3 11:18:51 PST 1997

>Of course, I wasn't even aware that pectin was an ester until a moment ago,
>so I could be wrong.
>
>Kent "1,1,1,2 tetra-fluoroethylene" Zeigler

As I dimly understand it, pectin is a water soluable colloidal
carbohydrate naturally occurring in some fruits which produces esters
which are converted in the presence of pecterase into pectic acid and
methanol.  Since it has been 30 years since I looked at catalytic
enzymes and I don't have a text describing the process, I'm at sea when
it comes to the actual mechanics of the breakdown and the quantities
which would be generated.

You've kindly answered my question about reversiblity, so if pectic acid
or methanol is the allergy problem, another mechanism is at work during
the cooling.

Bear