SC - key lime pie: a success story!

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Thu Dec 4 07:32:40 PST 1997

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> Anyone know of a period recipie? I've had these fried, more or less
> straight of the lamb, but with the recent years things have changed
> (i.e. immigration form other parts of the world) such that it might be
> possible to obtain enough of these to serve at a feast...

I don't recall having seen medieval recipes that refer specifically to
testicles. There are a few Roman recipes for various elaborate mixed
stews and patinae that call for capon testicles, IIRC. Somewhere along
the line I have seen recipes for pig's or lamb's fry, but as I recall,
it wasn't immediately clear whether the main ingredient was testicles or
unborn, fetal animals.

There are some late-and/or-post-period recipes (the ones I have seen are
English, but I suspect similar ones can be found in sources from other
countries, particularly France and Spain), again calling for various
assortments of "dainties", such as cock's combs, capon brains, capon
testicles, sweetbreads, etc., to be used in quelcechoses (a.k.a.
kickshaws) and oleos.

FWIW, you may well be able to find testicles in meat packing plants for
those animals corresponding to the type of animal whose
testicles...well, you get the idea, I'm sure. This can only get more
confusing. In other words, I know you can get capon and/or turkey
testicles, usually frozen in bulk, from commercial poultry packing
plants. I have an Asian market in my neighborhood that sells them in
little plastic trays, like ground beef. For all I know, a similar
situation may exist in the case of lamb. For larger animals like steer,
you won't find testicles because they have been removed in a different
way, before slaughter, and are effectively destroyed. But then I doubt
there's much of a culinary market for testicles you have to carve to
serve, anyway.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com