SC - Thoughts...

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Dec 14 11:52:18 PST 1997

><<  Once again it is from "To the Queen's Taste", by Lorna Sass.
> The recipe itself is out of The good Huswives handmaid, which is 1588.
>  >>

>Is anyone aware of sources for recipes of this type that are Medieval in
>style
>as opposed to SCA period?
>
>Ras

Sass's To the King's Taste contains recipes which would have been served
to Richard II.  To the Queen's Taste contains recipes which would have
been served to Elizabeth.  Each recipe has the original text, a modern
translation, and Sass's version of the dish.  Maggie Black's The
Medieval Cookbook is similar in format but leaves off the modern
translation.

If what you are looking for is potential primary sources, I've been
assembling a list of publications from antiquity to about 1850.  I get
confused about the temporal location of certain works, so I'm building
me a little quick reference timeline.  Unfortunately, I have yet to
figure out how to get my hands on copies or reproductions of the titles.

Bear