SC - More Bargain Books

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 14 13:34:58 PST 1997

>So my suggestion would be to establish your guild as an organization for
researching medieval cooking. Do cooking workshops, where someone gets a
bunch of original medieval recipes together and buys the ingredients, each
person who comes picks one recipe and does it, keeping track of the details
(with everyone else making suggestions as needed), everyone eats stuff as it
comes out and comments. That produces worked out recipes and people who know
they can work from primary sources.

>Make it clear that the guild will be happy to help cooks find recipes, but
that members are not automatically available to cook feasts.

- - As we are just starting a cooks guild here in Rimsholt, I'd like to
mention that the folks here surprised me when I suggested that we (the
guild) provide desserts for an upcoming event by asking "Do they need to be
period?"    In some groups, people seem to be more interested in cooking
than cooking from period sources.

I hope our monthly meetings will remedy this.  One person selects one or two
recipes from period sourses.  That person prepares it for the group,
provides a copy of the recipe and we sit around and discuss it.

Best of luck finding out what your group really wants.

Brighid the Ageless
living the canton of Rimsholt
in the Glorious Middle Kingdom