SC - Greetings!

Mon Dec 15 07:28:00 PST 1997

>reetings and Welcome!!
>Along the same lines as Isabelle, I have a few periodicity questions (as
>always):
>
>1) is crustless bread period?  If so does someone have a recipe (so if all
>else fails I cut it off)?
>
>2) either way, could somone throw some softish bread recipes my way?
>
>3) I don't suppose that anyone knows if Challah is period?  Or when the
>first documented Challah was made???
>
>Were I a cat, curiousity would have had all nine lives a long time ago,
>Bogdan

There are three period bread recipes of which I know.  A recipe for
rastons which includes a recipe for making a brioche like loaf from
which the rastons are made, a recipe from Platina (both of these were
generously provided to me by Cariadoc) and a recipe for manchet.  None
of these will be crustless.

If a soft crust is desired, try oiling or buttering the loaf just after
you pull it from the oven.  I suspect you can do this before you put it
in the oven, but I've never tried it.  If no crust is desired, I would
use the appropriate baking tin to shape the loaf and trim the crust.

The Pain de Champagne recipe I posted is a soft bread.  If you didn't
get the recipe, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

In general, you can produce softer breads by using starters and
extending the rising times to increase the aeration.

Sorry, I don't have any information on Challah.

Bear