SC - sigh

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Dec 16 13:04:23 PST 1997

>At 12:52 AM -0500 12/16/97, MISS PATRICIA M HEFNER wrote:
>>-- [ From: Patricia M. Hefner * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>>
>>Does anyone have a pie-pastry recipe?
>
>Let me answer on a tangent, by asking a different question:
>
>Does anyone have good information on when medieval pie crusts were pastry
>(i.e. a dough with significant amounts of shortening) and when they were
>basically flour/water (like a pizza crust) or something else? My impression
>is that while you may occasionally get instructions for the crust, most of
>the recipes simply tell you to make a coffin or whatever. We do most of
>ours as pastry, but I have a strong suspicion that many should be
>flour/water--perhaps all that do not specify additional ingredients. The
>earliest explicit pastry shell recipe that comes to mind is, I believe,
>16th century.
>
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

As a point, a simple bread dough of flour, water, yeast and salt would
make an edible crust which could be rolled thin and baked, fried or
boiled.  I sometimes make event food, by baking a pre-cooked meat
filling into a roll of such dough.

There is also a recipe for crusty rolls (not cuskynoles) which takes a
dough rolled parchment thin and fried.  I am of the opinion it was used
to eat spreadable foods like jams.  The basic recipe might be used to
form a crust for meat pies.

And for another question to ponder, some recipes call for doughs, some
for pastes; was there well defined semantic difference between the two
when the recipe was written?

Bear