SC - pie crusts--??

DELTAYLOR DELTAYLOR at aol.com
Wed Dec 17 08:10:34 PST 1997

>My grandmother makes her pie crusts with vinegar >replacing some of the
liquid.  Is this just a southern thing?  >(Oklahoma)
>Mercedes
Mercedes, my boyfriend's Mother showed me the same thing and she is from
Utah, so I don't think it is a southern thing.  M
Murkial

Perspective:  Being raised in Florida and North Carolina, when I saw
references to Oklahoma and Utah, it occurred to me that this may be a
WESTERN thing rather than a southern thing!

Someone else asked about pie crusts and when they went from being flour
and water to being flour, water and fat. One of Elizabeth David's books
mentions briefly that quiches were made with yeast crust rather than a
short crust, way back when. I don't remember which book (I've only read
one, "English Bread Baking" or some similar) or how far back when.   I
tried it several times using my usual bread recipe.  The quiche traveled
well, but was hard to slice.  Now that it is cold and I'm baking again, I
plan to try making a very soft dough that maybe won't go so tough when
rolled out, something more along the lines of pizza dough than bread
dough.

Anne