SC - Stew/Soup.

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Dec 17 11:38:01 PST 1997

      All right, All right, first Ras wants to know about grape juice, and the
Puck and Charles go off onto Mead recipes.  I got into making mead when a
friend of mine had me proofread an article he had written on the subject.  He
made the statement that he felt that unless you drank mead regularly, you
would not be able to make good mead.  I decided that even though I do not
drink, I could be successful.  I am a pretty good basic cook after all, and
work more by knowledge of flavor and contrast, than by recipe.
     I decided to try a White Pyment.  Pyment is the type of mead with
grapejuice mixed in.  My friend, Barat, is famous, even outside of Ansteorra,
for his "purple stuff" concord grape pyment.  I don't happen to like most red
wines, and I am fond of sweet things, so a white pyment sounded great to me.
I used 15 lbs of clover honey, seven 8 oz cans of frozen grape juice
concentrate (always use the 100%, or it will never taste right). and about
half a bottle of rosewater.  I wanted a more flowery flavor.  I also put in a
tablespoon of nutmeg because I like nutmeg.  All of this and enough water to
make 5 gallons, Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast and yeast nurtient etc.  Do you want
more than the recipe, because I am in the process of writing up a whole
artricle on method, for Stefan's Florigium.

Tyrca