SC - Re: 7 deadlies

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Thu Dec 18 08:31:53 PST 1997

<< On the other hand, are we really sure that sour vetruce is Magyar in
 origin? Given the high acid content, and the sour cream element, what
 price the chances the dish might be a descendant of a Turkish dish with
 citrus juice and yogurt? I'm not saying it is, but it seems not
 unreasonable, given the cultural exchange.

It might be possible, but since the Magyars and the Turks come from a similar
central asian background the dish might have its roots there also. (Maybe a
Khazar dish with yoghurt and citrus?)   In  _The Cuisine of Hungary_ George
Lang mentions that the first real cultural exchange food-wise occurred after
1527 when the Turks invaded and their cooking methods and ingredients were
common place. Even then he states that the effect was greater on peasant
cuisine than on that of the nobility which was well established by that time.
Sour Vetrece dates from 1475 which would put it before the Turkish invasion.

The problem is that I really don't know how accurate George Lang's information
is.  His sources are in Hungarian so I can't double check the information
there.  (My Hungarian consists of being able to make it into the correct
restroom and not ordering liver.)  I also know that there was relatively high
cultural exchange in other areas prior to the Turkish invasion, most notably
embroidery styles.

Rally I guess what it comes down to is that it's anybody's guess. . .

Noemi