SC - Problems of Thought....

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Dec 18 10:47:11 PST 1997

Ras asked:

>The question is what draws one to late period cookery. Since I am writing an
>article for my local Shire newsletter on this subject, I would like to hear
>from those drawn to this particular subject so I can present a relitively
>unbiased aarticle. Thanks in advance.

In my case, I’m pretty much a new cook, both to medieval cooking and
modern. I have developed a desire to have the original recipe in front
of me as well as a redaction, thanks to the folks on this list. However,
I’m still very unsure of many cooking procedures and amounts. This is
why I prefer to have a good redaction to work with. However, with
many redactions, I now can look at the original and have doubts about
where things in the modern recipe come from. But the farther back the
original recipe, the harder it is for me to work with it. The language,
even if English is more and more difficult for me the older the recipe.
And there are more unusual cooking or food terms.

So any preferance for later period sources is due to the ease of use and
not a preferance for a late-period time period. All of the available
recipes are much too recent for my persona who lives in the reign of
King Stephen of England (1150s).

Stefan li Rous