SC - There are no old world grapes.

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 20 10:01:47 PST 1997

<<
 On the other hand, I know a Cookie-holder who developed diabetes, and whose
 Laurel was for confectionary work. Those sorts of things are hard to
reconcile.

 FWIW, my 2 cents

 Aoife  >>

I mostly agree with you, but even when someone is physically (or otherwise)
constrained from practicing their art, they are still wonderful sources of
information and teaching.  I have a friend, a knight, who has been ordered by
the doctor to never pick up a sword again because of a neck injury in a car
accident.  It is very difficult for him, and yet he is one of the great
teachers and stratigists that I know.  We would be much poorer in spirit
without his insight and advice.  And even without his sword, he is still a
valued Peer of the realm.

I have another friend who is a graphic artist, and is slowly losing her
eyesight.  She works closer and closer to her drawing pad and computer screen,
realizing that some day, it will be gone.  Nothing can be done.  And yet, she
still has more than 20 years experience in the SCA, and can give us benefit of
her expertise.

I hope that your diabetic friend can find ways of sharing her learning and
skill without causing herself too much unhappiness.  We are all richer when we
take what we have, and share with others, instead of brushing off what we
don't understand, or don't want to hear.

Tyrca