SC - There are no old world grapes.

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 20 10:01:47 PST 1997

I was going to stay out of this one, but I feel I no longer have a choice.
It turns out that earlier in our history, a bug, the grape phylloxera, got
into Europe form the Americas and began decimating the roots of European
grapes.  From there, all of the European wine industry was in trouble.
The only way that the were able to continue growing grapes was by
importing American root stocks, and grafting European varieties on them.
The reason is that American grapes had been selected such that only
strains that were resistant to the phylloxera were able to survive (high
predation pressure).  So ineffect, there is no longer extant "old world"
grapes, because even the mighty french have had to rely on American root
stocks.  (And boy do they love that...)

Sorry for the science,
Bogdan din Brasov