SC - Re: Problems of Thought

Tyrca Tyrca at aol.com
Sat Dec 20 08:56:39 PST 1997

Another issue with lamb...  I have a friend who once explained to me the
butcher's definition of "lamb" vs. "mutton" (over 15 or 18 months old,
or something like that) by the age of the animal...  What often gets
sold as lamb is only a few days from its "mutton" "birthday" (because,
of course, that's a larger animal)...  If you can cultivate a butcher or
grower who will sell you smaller animals at younger ages (like 8-12
months), it's a whole other ball game as far as tenderness and taste.
The lamb chops I ate at her house (only time) certainly didn't "taste
like wool".

Chimene
patricia.r.dunham at ci.eugene.or.us
http://members.aol.com/gerekr/medieval.html (home)
 ----------
| From: Marisa Herzog
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: Re: SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)
| Date: Friday, December 19, 1997 8:45AM
|
|                       RE>>SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)
12/19/97

| Lamb done badly is horrible, lamb done well is the best thing in the
world.
| The Greek restaurant a couple blocks from my house does a lamb chop
that could
| convert even the most die-hard lamb hater.
|  -brid

SCA-Cooks".