SC - Tyrca makes Pyment again

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 20 19:35:51 PST 1997

According to Teresa McLean, in _Medieval English Gardens_ quotes a list
of fruit trees grown: "The Tower of London were planted by the royal
grdener in 1275 with:
       '100 cherry trees, costing 1s.6d.,
        500 osier willows, costing 4s.6d.,
          4 quince trees, costing 2s.,
	  2 peach trees, costing 1s.,
	    gooseberry bushes, costing 3d.,
	  a quart of lily bulbs, costing 1s.,
	  another peach tree, costing 6d.,'
she goes on to mention that"they were as expensive as quinces, and much
harder to cultivate successfully in England. They appear quite frequently
in Literature from the thirteenth century on, usually classed with the
exotic fruits" Also,Godfrey's 15th C version of De Agricultura advised
sprinkling their peach trees with goat's milk in order to get
pomegranates from them (Take that for what it's worth!) and that King
John hastened his death by indulging in 'a surfiet of peaches and ale' It
seems that going by "Gardens", that they weren't everyday sort of fruit,
but rather a royal indulgence.
Lady Beatrix