SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Sun Dec 21 22:04:53 PST 1997

Once upon a time we had a cooking workshop (this was in the days when we
wondered how practical 'field cooking' was. In my Backyard, over an open
fire, I prepared the following recipe (with changes as noted)

Take one camel. (I couldn't find anywhere to take it from, so I skipped
that bit. Plus we were feeding 20 people, all of whom were cooking
something. It seemed like overkill.)

Take one sheep   (which I did. without the neck opened. The butcher
kindly got me one like that)

Stick it in the camel (No camel. Well, what can you do)

Take some ducks, geese, or chickens. (I got some chickens, and a buch of
bits as well.)

Put capons or quail in them. (quail went into chickens, ducks got capons
filled with chicken breast)

fill the rest with rice, pistachios, sultanas, figs and some other nut (I
forget. I partially cooked the rice first)

Put it on a spit over the fire, and cook it.

What was amazing was that over about 8 hours, we ate nearly all the lamb,
all the quails and most of the rest. It was really good.

Unfortuantely I don't have any documentation.

What I normally do is fill a beastie with fruit (apples, pears, oranges,
whatever), sew it up with tie-wire, and cook it, then serve with a few
sauces. forty people demolish a reasonable lamb or goat in a feast (ten
people can eat a whole goat if they're hungry), and a deer should feed
about 100.

It's very low stress cooking, and it looks good when it comes to be
carved and served. Plus there are lots of stock-bones...

Charles