SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Dec 21 22:05:26 PST 1997

Phlip said sheep were hard work...

Australian sheep farming is a fairly laid back (ie well suited to
Australia) business. Some people get heavily involved, but most people
get the sheep, crutch and dip them once a year, and shear them in spring.
Sheep are worth a few dollars, and I have noticed that the people who
ignore them and the people who look after them every morning get about
the same results. THe difference is with farmers trying to raise
superfine wool in grubby parts of the country - then they manicure and
brush them twice daily (or so it seems). Sheep farming doesn't seem so
popular in the north - for some reason people think cattle are better in
the desert land. I think it may be because the wool is not so good. (It
may be just my own mistaken impression)

Our last Prime Minister gained a lot of notoriety because he had a very
large business raising pigs. But Australian Pig farmers are up in arms
because they are about to get a lot of US and Canadian pork dumped in the
country, which is much cheaper. (In Australia we are told that every US
farmer gets about a zilliojn dollars a week to keep the prices down, and
our farmers are all poor 'battlers' - an australian heartstring word. The
Sultan of Brunei is one of Australia's great farmers, and another is the
richest woman in the country, who runs a stable of racehorses as a hobby)

Charles Ragnar