SC - well, since this se

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Tue Dec 23 09:06:50 PST 1997

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Elise Fleming wrote:

> A comment on the recipe for a confection from pine-nut kernels:  There
> is a painting in the Cleveland Museum of Art from the Renaissance which
> has, I am convinced, a picture of this confection.  I had been on the
> prowl for art work with confections and spotted this in an alcove.  I
> sketched the candy which is somewhat cube-shaped with white ovals in
> it.  Only after I read this recipe did the picture and the recipe come
> together.  Now I need to find pine nuts and try it out.
>
> Alys Katharine

No doubt you know (but I'll mention it for anyone who doesn't) that
sugared pine-nuts are mentioned in Platina.  I'm at work, and don't
have my copy handy, but ISTR that he says to shape them into little rolls.
They are served at the beginning of a meal (to stimulate the appetite, I
think).

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
harper at idt.net
mka Robin Carroll-Mann, who made sugared walnuts for Xmas gifts this
year