SC - Smalls

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Sun Dec 28 02:34:03 PST 1997

<< Yes, the name is the same. But what proof do we have that the current
 plants are unchanged from the medieval versions? >>

Viniculture is one the best documented and careful forms of agriculture in
existence. We do have "proof" that these are the same varieties through many
channels but as I am aware of your next question...no I do not have the
literal reams of notes, bibliographies , etc. in front of me to quote. The
best way to get this information is to take a wine appreciation course and go
from there. The amount of literature regarding grapes and wine is overwhelming
and a study of several ytears in itself.

<< ......unintentional cross-pollination. >>

Cross-pollination does not have an effect on the current grape crop, only on
the seeds which are not used for propagation anyway.

<<Also while there is grafting, is that the only propagation technique?>>

In a nutshell, yes with notible exceptions.These exceptions tend to be the
French-American hybrids developed in the East Coast of the USA and almost
exclusively limited to that area specifically PA and New York.

<< I thought all the vines got old after 25? 50? years and had to be
replaced.>>

These types of vines are called "Old Vines" and the wine produced from them is
considered to be extraordinarily exceptional and in all cases command very
high prices. The problem is not death of the vines but rather a decreased
yield, thus major  wineries such as Mondavi, Gallo, Kendal-Jackson and those
of like ilk usually uproot the vines to be replaced by younger more productive
vines. Those "younger" vines are nothing less than pieces of old vines grafted
on younger stock.

<<wouldn't the "best" vines be the ones propagated? Thus changing the overall
 average of the type for the "better"?>>

Yes and no....This culling out of vines which produce inadequately has already
been accomplished. That is why we have the varieties we do now. Varieties
which have survived the centuries. Any deviation would  be a "sport" and would
be propagated if it were contained a plethera of positive qualities. It would
then be given a new name. It would under no circumstances be referred to by
the old name. The basis of growing good grapes for wine -making (which by the
way are usually not very good "eating" grapes and of smaller size berries) is
based almost 100% on soil types and climate conditions. Each variety demands a
specific soil type and climate to produce quality grapes for making quality
wines. Any deviation from this will cause flavor characteristics which are not
true to type and thus undesirable to the wine maker.

 << I, for one, would be interested in seeing this list. And a list of  those
of those varieties that are known to be more recent.>>

Working on it! :-) Although I assure you that the list of more recent
varieties will be slim indeed. :-) This is one area of modern life that we
have the Middle Ages to thanki for directly. And as I said before, for the
most part, most vintners and wine industry officials have had the common sense
to leave well-enough alone and not fix that which is not broken.

al-Sayyid Ras al-Zib, AoA, OSyc and by happy circumstance Master Wine Taster.
:-))

 Stefan li Rous >>