SC - An SCA cookbook? Mmmmmm!

charles@macquarie.matra.com.au charles at macquarie.matra.com.au
Sun Dec 28 03:23:48 PST 1997

<<
 > Of course, m'lord Puck, you must not forget that smalls over 18 mths.
 become
 > tough . Thankfully at that age they can be taught to drag pieces of wood
 > the campfire......
 >
 > Ras

 Actually, when seeking smalls from my local provender, I tend to be more
 concerned with whether or not they were walking than their actual age.  I
 find that, once they start walking the meat does indeed become tough.  Of
 course, we all know that they are best when breast fed and less than
 crawling age;-)

 Regards, Puck >>

Actually, we find that properly trained and well fed smalls make excellent
kitchen drudges.  We do, however, have to neuter the males occasionally.  It
is not the little ones that bother us at camp, though.  We find our big
problems come from the teen-aged untrained youths who wind up in our camp.
Last Estrella, I had received a gift of a matched pair of corn knives for
kitchen defense and kitchen cutlery.  Both were hand made for me by milord
Andert, my companion.  One was cold rolled steel, the other stainless.  The
cold-rolled steel one is sturdy enough that we were using it for a wood
chopper, in lieu of the hatchet milord had forgotten to bring.  We had a young
lord staying in our camp who decided to be helpful, get up early, and start
the cook fire before I got up.  Needless to say he grabbed the wrong corn
knife,  the not so sturdy stainless one.  Milord Davor, Head of our House
decided that his punishment be mitigated by his desire to be helpful.  After
the proper chastening, and enlightenment of the proper treatment of quality
blades, he made an excellent kitchen drudge, except he would not touch the
knives, even to clean them.

Mordonna