SC - RE: SC-Smalls

Mordonnade Mordonnade at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 12:01:25 PST 1997

> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:23:08 EST
> From: LrdRas <LrdRas at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Gumbo receipt

> << (filet powder can be found in the "Cajun" section of the specialty
> food
>  department of
>  most large groceries)
>   >>

> For those who can not find this spice at their local provider of fine
> foodstuffs, anyone who has access to sassafras trees can make filet
> powder by
> harvesting the leaves, drying them and reducung them to a powder with
> one of
> the miriad ensorcled (sp.?) whirling dervishes available at a thousand
> merchants near you. :-)

An excellent source for File Powder and other uncommon spices is on the
web at http://www.spicesetc.com

Spices Etc. has so far yielded excellent quality and freshness in all
spices that I have ordered.  I highly recommend them! their "Mancha
Select" Saffron is to DIE FOR!!

Brandu
( who would rather buy than grow his saffron, because:
1)   It requires more than a half acre of saffron crocus plants to yield
an ounce of saffron.
2)   SOMEONE has got to *pick* the saffron, and they had better know
*what* to pick, and *how* to do it with out damaging the stamens of the
plant.  That means a LOT of bending or kneeling in the spring-moist
dirt.
3)   it needs to be dried and roasted to bring out the flavor and color.
This requires skill and practice.  If you do this wrong the whole batch
is spoiled!  Poor drying could yield a mold that is not pleasant
tasting, and bad roasting could yield a most bitter flavor or off color.
Keep this in mind, dear, self-sufficient, Puck...)