SC - Hardly anyone eats lamb...?

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Dec 28 20:18:05 PST 1997

I was thinking about this lamb thread today on my 2 hr. round trip run to
pick up some lamb chops, and I was thinking, "How silly to refuse to eat a
food because of bad associations", until I realized that I'd done it
myself. Well, not refused, but avoided.

 You see, many ears ago, when I was a half-pint, I moved with my
grandmother from the east coast to Portland, Oregon, I spent a fair amount
of time in a boarding school, St. Helen's Hall, and we were regularly
served something called "salmon patties". Also, at that time, when I was
home with Mimi, she would frequently be invited out to cocktail parties
where there was invariably an entire smoked salmon on the buffet. For some
reason, the net result was to leave me very non-interested in salmon. It
wasn't until college when Jewish friends turned me onto lox and bagels that
I could even THINK of salmon without wanting to go elsewhere- now I love it
again. Salmon eggs, with me, have a somewhat similar history- that's what
we used for fish bait, and I would no more think of eating them than I
would of dog food, although since the more or less current rage for sushi
and sashima, I now find them most palatable.

French onion soup is another one I got burned out on at an early age, and I
flat haven't been tempted lately by any of the versions I've seen. If
anyone out there has what they feel is a really good recipe, send it and
I'll try it, but most that I've seen lately has been over-salted and filled
with garbage.

I won't eat the local version of "chili soup" either though I make an
excellent version myself. As Bear said recently, bad cooking is bad cooking.

I still refuse to have anything to do with either black licorice or bell
peppers, and these are two prejudices I'll keep, please. I have no bad
associations from either, I just think they taste horrible.

Phlip,
Who usually prides herself on being willing to eat anything which doesn't
move fast enough.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,