SC - onion soup (was re: no one eats lamb)

Mon Dec 29 18:10:13 PST 1997

> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:25:12 EST
> From: Mordonnade <Mordonnade at aol.com>
> Subject: SC - Gumbo receipt
>
> Here is a rough rendition of my receipt:
>

> CAMP GUMBO

<most of recipe snipped for space>

> serve with tobasco, filet powder, rice, and bread
> (filet powder can be found in the "Cajun" section of the specialty food
> department of
> most large groceries)
>
> serves 16-20 hungry people, or 8 men-at-arms
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Offered most humbly by
>
> Mordonna

Lovely recipe, Mordonna! Thank you!  I am curious about one thing,
though...I've never seen a gumbo recipe that called for both okra and
file powder. My not being a native of the appropriate area may be a
factor, but my impression was that it was either one or the other, since
they both provide a similar mucilaginous thickening to the sauce.
Similarly, when file is used, it is usually stirred into the sauce. Is
it used as a garnish in your recipe, and is it there primarily for its
flavor, its color, or what?

Not being critical, mind you. It's just that I'm easily confused. It
does sound like a lovely gumbo. Any ideas about the presence of file in
addition to okra, and how it is used?

As for the periodicity of the dish, probably the easiest thing to
suggest is that while there is at least one period European dish I can
think of that calls for both poultry and crayfish, rather than shrimp, a
minor change, that dish doesn't call for tomatoes or green peppers, both
of which arrived in Europe, more or less, well after Columbus's voyages
to America. If I can find the time to post the recipe for the tile of
meat (specifically chicken in a spiced almond sauce, garnished with
crayfish tails) from Le Menagier de Paris, would you be interested?

Many thanks!

Adamantius
troy at asan.com