SC - Re Lizzie Borden and lamb?

Mon Dec 29 18:22:47 PST 1997

Post it, Dear Adamantius, you should know better than to ask.

How were your holidays?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: > Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:25:12 EST
: > From: Mordonnade <Mordonnade at aol.com>
: > Subject: SC - Gumbo receipt
: >
: > Here is a rough rendition of my receipt:
: >
: >
: > CAMP GUMBO
:
: <most of recipe snipped for space>
:
: > serve with tobasco, filet powder, rice, and bread
: > (filet powder can be found in the "Cajun" section of the specialty food
: > department of
: > most large groceries)
: >
: > serves 16-20 hungry people, or 8 men-at-arms
: >
: > Enjoy!
: >
: > Offered most humbly by
: >
: > Mordonna
:
: Lovely recipe, Mordonna! Thank you!  I am curious about one thing,
: though...I've never seen a gumbo recipe that called for both okra and
: file powder. My not being a native of the appropriate area may be a
: factor, but my impression was that it was either one or the other, since
: they both provide a similar mucilaginous thickening to the sauce.
: Similarly, when file is used, it is usually stirred into the sauce. Is
: it used as a garnish in your recipe, and is it there primarily for its
: flavor, its color, or what?
:
: Not being critical, mind you. It's just that I'm easily confused. It
: does sound like a lovely gumbo. Any ideas about the presence of file in
: addition to okra, and how it is used?
:
: As for the periodicity of the dish, probably the easiest thing to
: suggest is that while there is at least one period European dish I can
: think of that calls for both poultry and crayfish, rather than shrimp, a
: minor change, that dish doesn't call for tomatoes or green peppers, both
: of which arrived in Europe, more or less, well after Columbus's voyages
: to America. If I can find the time to post the recipe for the tile of
: meat (specifically chicken in a spiced almond sauce, garnished with
: crayfish tails) from Le Menagier de Paris, would you be interested?
:
: Many thanks!
:
: Adamantius