SC - RE: SC-Smalls

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Tue Dec 30 09:57:53 PST 1997

>      A couple of minor quibbles--make that "kneeling in the
> *autumn*-moist
> dirt", since the saffron crocus blooms in the fall. And while I am by
> no means
> an expert on the topic, the article in the recent issue of "Kitchen
> Garden"
> that discussed saffron growing by the Penn. Dutch made no mention that
> I can
> recall of any need to roast the spice. Dry it, yes, certainly,
> although the
> article indicated that to be easy enough, but roasting wasn't
> mentioned.......
> But I certainly agree that growing saffron in quantiy would take far
> more
> space and labor than I have to give right now. But a small bed would
> certainly
> be nice, just for the fun of it. That *is* a large chunk of the reason
> for
> gardening these days after all--and besides, the flowers are pretty!
> ;-)
>
>        Ldy Diana

Dear Lady, You are correct. Fall. My mistake.  I am so looking forward
to spring when the crocuses will poke their heads up through the hard
earth (my absolute favorite time of year!) that I forgot this tidbit.
As for roasting, I was under the impression that Saffron is slightly
roasted to bring out and set the color, and flavor. I was informed by my
source (which I will recheck) that this also is responsible for the
slightly smoky and intense flavor of the finest saffron. I have seen raw
saffron Crocus stamens and they were yellowish orange, but the fins
saffron I have in the kitchen is a deep reddish color.  Perhaps this is
due to drying alone, but I thought that the saffron was toasted
slightly.
Certainly the processing would be possible with small quantities, but
such small quantities would be more prone to mistakes, (or a strong gust
of wind!!).  I'd want to scream if a stumble or errant gust of wind
lands an afternoons work in the grass!!

Brandu