SC - RE: Hardly Anyone eats lamb...???

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Tue Dec 30 09:54:44 PST 1997

> > French onion soup is another one I got burned out on at an early
> age, and I
> > flat haven't been tempted lately by any of the versions I've seen.
> If
> > anyone out there has what they feel is a really good recipe, send it
> and
> > I'll try it, but most that I've seen lately has been over-salted and
> filled
> > with garbage.
>

> Salt?  Why on Earth spoil a perfectly good onion soup with salt???
> <g>
	<Excellent recipe snipped>
Here is one I like. (vegetarians can omit the beef, it is still great!)

2 yellow sweet onions ( like Vidalias )
1 medium clove garlic
1/4 pound stewing beef
real (not cooking) sherry
water
1 French baguette (day old, not fresh)
Gruyere (sp?) cheese
garlic butter
butter for cooking

Peel and slice onions and dice garlic

slice the bread into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick croutons and toast lightly so
that the edges are SLIGHTLY browned.
brush melted garlic butter on the croutons and let cool
thinly slice the cheese and place one slice on each crouton.  Place on a
cookie sheet under a broiler until cheese is bubbley and brown.

Now make the soup.
In a covered frying pan place the beef and 1/2 cup water and cook at
medium until the water cooks away, then brown the beef (add a little
butter if necessary), and reserve the beef for some other recipe.
add a little sherry to the pan to deglaze and stir until pan is
deglazed. pour off the sherry/beef stock and reserve
to add in a few minutes

melt a small amount of butter in the pan, and when it has stopped
singing (after it stops bubbling, but before it starts smoking) add the
garlic and onion slices cook until well browned, almost but not quite
burnt). add 1/4 cup sherry to the onions and stir, being sure to deglaze
the pan. Stir until the onions are softened, and the stock has acquired
a beautiful deep color. add the reserved beef stock and add water to
taste.  Simmer with a little cracked pepper on top for 20 minutes, stir
and the soup is ready.

to serve:

place one or two croutons in bowl, and ladle soup over the croutons
until filled. sprinkle with a little parmesan and crumbled gruyere and
(optionally) place under broiler until cheese on top is browned.

Serve it forth

Brandu