SC - Help-Oysters

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Dec 3 09:13:11 PST 1997

Most recipes I've seen for oysters in or out of period use them either raw
or barely warmed with a tart sauce as an accompaniment. Lord Ras is getting
them, from his description, shelled and raw in buckets from which the
oysters are dipped into individual containers for the purchaser, although I
have also seen them pre-packaged.

 Standards are smaller than selects, by so small a margin that I don't
worry about the difference: you might get a dozen standards in the same
volume/weight that you would get 10 selects. We usually get them around SE
Ohio this time of year for people to make into stuffing for their Holiday
birds, which in my biased opinion is a terrible thing to do to a perfectly
innocent oyster.

Lord Ras, if you use them to make a soup, make the rest of your soup and
take it off the heat and toss the oysters in for the time it takes you to
be ready to serve, no more than 5 minutes, and 1-2 minutes preferred. As to
any other method of preparation, just keep in in mind that you merely want
them cooked enough so that the surface is damp, not wet.

Enjoy!

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: What is Standard? (Here it is a low-Octane grade of petrol, but nobody
: sells it anymore) (or are they selling oysters by the pint? I can't make
: any sense of that bit. But recipes for oysters:
:
: Take oyster. put the gooey bit on the tongue, and leave the shell in the
: hand. Say "UUulpp". Repeat about 6 times, then have a drink. Repeat the
: whole process. until you run out of oysters (best have about a gross of
: oysters, and a few bottles of good cider for each person. A bit of Bread
: is OK too)
:
: Charles
: