SC - 12th Night feast menu

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Dec 10 11:49:07 PST 1997

> Good for you. There seems to be an almost universal assumption in the SCA
> that good feasts have to be expensive, which simply ins't true. I think our
> current figure for the cost of Jingles (I haven't seen the final
> calculations) is a little under $4.

Actually, this is the most money I've ever had as a feast budget. It's usually
around $3 to $3.50 even for the fanciest feasts.

> I don't recognize the sources for all of your recipes--saffron rice, for
> example, and toasted cheese bread (is that Savoury Toasted Cheese by any
> chance?), so cannot comment on their medieval accuracy.

I'm not sure about the saffron rice, I need to look at a couple more sources.
The toasted cheese was mentioned on this list a little while ago. Basically
round loaves are sliced and toasted, then a cheese mixture is spread on the
slice and put under the broiler, a salamander is applied, whatever to toast
the cheese. I'm planning on using a blowtorch. The bread is then cut into wedges.
I don't believe the recipe was the same as that used for the Savory Toasted
Cheese.

When I get my pamphlet together I will post the dishes and their sources but
here at work I don't have the materials.

> David/Cariadoc

Yers,

Gunthar