SC - pie crusts--??

Tue Dec 16 11:06:40 PST 1997

>-- [ From: Patricia M. Hefner * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
>Does anyone have a pie-pastry recipe? If I'm planning to learn how to
>make meatpies, I'd like to have one, especially for the ones that call
>for a pastry on top of the pie. Merci beaucoup!
>
>Isabelle de Foix
>College of Misty Mere
>Kingdom of Meridies

Off the top of my head, basic pie dough is a 3-2-1 dough; three measures
of flour to two measures of fat to one measure of liquid.

So to do this, cut 2 cups of flour into 1 1/3 cups of shortening
(butter, lard, etc.).  I usually use a dinner fork to stir the mix (the
tines cut through the shortening and force the flour into it), but there
are tools specifically designed for this.  The result should look like a
bunch of large crumbs.  Add 2/3 cup of water and work the dough until it
forms a ball.

If the dough won't stick together in ball, add a little more water
(about a tablespoon at a time).  If the dough sticks to the bowl, add a
little more flour (no more than 1/4 cup at a time).

Most pie doughs are variations on this theme; changing the ratios of the
ingredients slightly, adding eggs or spices, using milk for the liquid.

Bear