SC - Byzantine cooking

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Tue Dec 30 21:48:36 PST 1997

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Crystal A. Isaac wrote:

> There is a 6th century letter on food health and correct eating for
> kings by Anthimus, a Byzantine physician to Theoderic, King of the
> Franks(circa 526). It has been translated by Shirley Howard Weber in her
> dissertation, _Anthimus, De Observatio Ciborum: Text, Commentary, and
> Glossary with a Study of the Latinity. A Dissertation..._ and published
> by E. J. Brill Ltd., Leiden 1924. It's English translation with the
>
> I recently saw another translation but do not remember the translator's
> name. I think I saw it in Potboiler press, NY.

> Crystal of the Westermark, AoA

I recently purchased the Mark Grant translation from the Food Heritage
Press:

	_ANTHIMUS: De obseruatione ciborum, ON THE OBSERVANCE OF FOODS_,
	Prospect Books, 1996.  ISBN 0907325 750

It also has the latin and english on opposite pages for comparison, along
with historical information and great notes.

Lady Allegra Beati
Barony of al-Barran
Outlands