SC - Cherries and wine

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 10 07:27:36 PDT 1997

  Ok, for those of us who can't / don't partake, what is a good juice
  to substitute for wine if you are cooking cherries?  Would white
  grape juice work?

There was some discussion of ths a few months ago.  The conclusion I walked
away with at the time was as follows:

There are three flavors in wine that are key: the fruit flavors from the
grape, the astringency of the alcohol, and the reduced sugar.   I suspect
that you could get a close approximation with white grape juice, and a
little wine vinegar for sharpness.

Of course, there are alcohol free wines available now, if you are willing to
make the expense.

	Tibor