SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Jul 10 09:09:57 PDT 1997

> I'm still not entirely sure of how this whole wine avoidance thing
> works. I'm not being critical, mind you, it's just that I'm not sure
> what it is in wine that is objectionable in each case, so it's hard to
> isolate and solve the problem.

I can understand this, and it's not something I take offense at.

<snip>
> So, we got into a long sideline about
> evaporation and diffusion, and my friend the chemist claimed that the
> number of molecules of ethyl alcohol in a boiled specimen is not zero
> (diffusion again), but also not significantly more than in, say, a
> random sample of the earth's atmosphere.
<snip>
> So, at the risk of making an insensitive and potentially dangerous
> error, I'll just say that if it was me, I'd boil some wine, and use it
> judiciously.
>
> Adamantius

There are two reasons for my abstinence.  The first is religious, so
if the alcohol were removed I would have no real objections.  The
second is a rather nasty "allergy/sensitivity".  We are not sure what
causes it, since the doctor says it is unlikely a true "allergy" but
since it is something easily avoided we don't need to pursue it
further.  At one of my first events someone fed me a lovely beef stew
with wine in it.  I was sick for three days (migraines and vomiting
- -- not worth it).

Since I have never had a chance to develop a taste for alcohol, I do
not even enjoy the smell.  After living through the effects of
"alcohol boiled off",  I think I'll pass.

Claricia