SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Jul 10 09:21:12 PDT 1997

                      nut skinning (was Redactions)                7/10/97

> After you toasted the hazelnuts did you rub the skins off?  Or did you
> leave them on.  I happily spent part of the weekend squeezing the skins off

  I don't know how it would work for hazelnuts, but to de-skin almonds:  drop
the lot of them into boiling water for just a few seconds, until the skins
start to balloon a bit, then quickly scoop them out with a strainer so they
don't get water logged. lay them out on a table between two dish towells and
knead the bundle for a few minutes.  It goes faster this way than trying to
pop each little nut out of it's skin [ ;) ].  And it is worth the little bit
of time to save the dollar difference between store bought blanched almonds.
(Having blanched alot of nuts, being a marzipan junkie)
brid hecgwiht
(and yes I noted and politely did not touch the possible innuendo above :))