SC - Butchery-Apology Sort of

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Sat Jul 12 09:01:07 PDT 1997

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> However, IMO, all school children should be taken on a field trip to a meat
> processing plant at least once in their educational career. And I really do
> feel that a vast majority of folks that eat meat think it comes all nicely
> packaged  at the supermarket.

All the more reason to hold a butchery class at some large SCA event.
Give those that want to an oppourtunity to see (and participate in) the
whole process, from (cuddly) sheep to lamb chops and mutton stew. I know
courses like this is taught at some "primitive skills gatherings"[1], and
have been popular in those settings.

Just like you I have full respect for those that prefer to keep animals
out of their diet, but not for those that object to "knowing" about the
whole process but are willing to eat meat anyway.

/UlfR

[1] We are talking paleolithic skills here: I've seen one such class where
(only) stone and bone tools were used after the animal had been killed.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Swords don't kill people. People using swords kill people.
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.